THINGS TO DO
1) Roosevelt’s International Park: Do a day trip to Campobello Island. Either take our 40 minute water taxi or drive around (2.5 hours). Visit Roosevelt’s Summer home and cottages and tour the island lighthouses.
2) Kingsbrae Gardens: a multi-award winning 27 acre horticultural masterpiece, home to dozens of remarkable sculptures, over 50,000 perennials in themed gardens, ponds, streams, old-growth Acadian forest, various animals and birds. Petting zoo for families.
3) Huntsman Marine Aquarium: Resident harbour seals Loki and Snorkel entertain you with their antics. Visitors to Huntsman also enjoy our sturgeon, seahorses, salmon, intertidal creatures, and underwater viewing of Bay of Fundy fishes. Don’t forget to stroll down to the beach.
4) Minister’s Island historic Site: This has to be timed with the tides. You drive across the sand bar with your car at low tide only (free). Then you can pay to go on the island to explore the spectacular 50 room summer cottage of Sir William Van Horne and the massive and recently restored Maxwell designed barn. Stoll the gorgeous lawns and bathhouse with an old tidal swimming pool.
5) Katy’s Cove swimming: Relax and play at the water’s edge in the warmest saltwater swimming in the region. Katy’s Cove, a unsupervised sandy beach ready for swimming, sandcastles and summer fun, offers a fantastic vista of Passamaquoddy Bay.
6) Awesome castle playground in town
7) Guided Jeep Tours of historic sites and homes in town.
8) Guided beach walk with a bilingual biologist: Turtle Shore Adventures
9) Block House
12) Hiking: There is a great trail down past Kiwanis Campground. On the right will be the ocean for a cold dip and on the left Katy’s Cove for a warm salt water dip. You can also explore the beach at low tide and collect shells and sea glass.
13) Hiking Chamcook Mountain: Behind the Rossmount Inn. About a 40 minute hike up and 20 minutes down the old carriage trail. Ages 5+? Great vistas of the ocean and the St. Croix River. Bring a lunch and enjoy the views from the top.
More Chamber of Commerce information: http://standrewsbythesea.ca/directory/category/attractions-activities/